Monday, October 8, 2018

Week 8! - Baptism, a Parrot and GC!

Friends and family,

This past week has been great. 

This past Tuesday we talked to a lady who had taken all the missionary lessons but was never baptized. We set a date for baptism with her and reviewed lessons and this past Saturday in between general conference sessions, I had the incredible opportunity to help her come unto Christ by baptizing her. It's something I'll never forget.

A funny experience from this week: I set a ´goal´ in the ctm to flex and bust a shirt by the end of my mission. 2 weeks in and... it already happened haha. In district meeting I tried just joking around (having my arms in front of me with my hands on my shoulders and pulling my elbows together to tighten my shirt on my back) and the left armpit of the shirt ripped open haha. We all laughed about it. Luckily it wasn't too noticeable for the bus ride back. I'll attach a pic.

A note about buses in Brazil: they're insane. They're all stick shifts and the drivers drive them like sports cars. Mix that with bumpy roads, tight turns and trying to give an American missionary his change for the bus ride at the same time and you've got an accurate picture of what they're like.

We also stopped by a family's house this past week to say Hi and Elder Hoch and I were able to get their parrot to get on our shoulders, it was super cool haha. I fed it a cracker.

General conference was great! It's such a blessing to be able to hear from a living prophet of God. The stories and testimonies shared were incredible. A theme I noticed was repenting now and coming back to the fold, and helping others do the same. The changes to the church schedule and 12(!!) new temples was also incredible. I'm so glad to be part of God's church.

My testimony and conversion to the gospel is continually growing. I've a long way to go but I'm not doing it alone.

My Portuguese is slowly getting better. I can understand and talk about simple things, bear testimony, and share points in a lesson but I still am and for a while will be lost during lightning-fast Portuguese conversations between natives. I've got a lot to learn.

Love you all,

Elder Anderson




No comments:

Post a Comment